Multiple fire units from across Moore County responded to a possible structure fire in the early Sunday morning hours at Fox Hollow Senior Living in Pinehurst.
Smoke was found coming from the ceiling in a second floor area around 6:30 a.m., and staff immediately called 911 and began evacuating the second floor residents to the ground floor. Residents were placed in the cafeteria area which was safely away from the area in question as fire crews determined an outside evacuation was not necessary at that time.
Due to the size of the structure and occupancy, multiple fire units, EMS, and public safety officials responded to the scene. Fire crews were able to determine that the smoke came from a roof top HVAC system that malfunctioned sending smoke into an area of the building.
There were no reported injuries.
Once fire crews determined the area to be safe, residents were allowed to return to their rooms. Firefighters assisted the staff getting the residents safely back.
Responding to the scene were units from Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen, Pinebluff, Whispering Pines, Cypress Pointe, Moore County EMS, Moore County Public Safety, and Southern Pines Police Department.