The Village of Pinehurst is in the process of assessing the community’s need for library services and needs your input. Between February 18, 2020 and February 20, 2020, the Village will hold up to four focus groups called Library Community Conversations and is seeking a diverse group of volunteers to share their opinions about and desires for library services.
Volunteers for Library Community Conversations will participate in a small-group round table discussion consisting of 12-15 residents selected from the volunteer applications received, ensuring a diverse representation of Village neighborhoods, age ranges, employment status, family status, and library patronage.
Participants will discuss which library services may be needed and factors that contribute to their use or non-use of current library services. Each Library Community Conversation will be facilitated by a representative from Library IQ, the consulting firm engaged by Village Council to conduct a library needs assessment.
Each conversation will last approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours and volunteers selected will participate in only one Library Community Conversation, with multiple meeting times offered to provide participants with options:
• Tuesday, February 18, 2020 (10:00 am – 11:30 am)
• Tuesday, February 18, 2020 (2:00 pm – 3:30 pm)
• Wednesday, February 19, 2020 (5:30 pm – 7:00 pm)
• Thursday, February 20, 2020 (10:00 am – 11:30 am)
Village staff will notify all volunteer applicants if they are selected to participate in a Library Community Conversation by no later than Friday, January 17, 2020.
Applications to participate in Library Community Conversations are now available at Engage Pinehurst; at Village Hall, 395 Magnolia Road; and at the Given Memorial Library, 150 Cherokee Road. Residents interested in volunteering for Library Community Conversations should fill out the volunteer application by December 20, 2019.
Other ways residents can provide their input and feedback during the library needs assessment include:
1. Public Input Workshops: Join the Village Council and staff for one of two Library Public Input Workshops: February 18, 2020 from 6:00-8:00 pm or February 19, 2020 from 10:00 am-12:00 pm in Assembly Hall, 395 Magnolia Road. Participants will hear a presentation on modern library services and visit stations to indicate how likely they would be to utilize a variety of modern library services.
2. Online Survey: Visit the Village’s public engagement portal, Engage Pinehurst, in early February 2020 to participate in an online survey for all residents regarding library needs.
3. Mailed Survey: A survey administered by ETC Institute will be mailed to a statistically valid sample of Pinehurst residents in March/April 2020.
The library needs assessment will occur in four phases:
Phase 1: Review Existing Conditions/Data & Information Gathering
October 1 2019–February 15, 2020
LibraryIQ will assess current program and event attendance, population and demographic historical trends and projections, relevant planning documents and reports, existing space for programs and services and library reports, and compare this to best practices and successful library services in communities with similar demographics.
Phase 2: Solicit Input/Public Engagement
February 16-March 31, 2020
LibraryIQ will execute a public engagement strategy designed to ensure broad community input to determine the community’s desires and realistic needs for improved or expanded library services. Public input will be gathered via Library Community Conversations, Library Public Input workshops, an online survey, and a survey mailed to a randomly selected sample of Pinehurst households.
Phase 3: Conduct Needs Assessment/Form Recommendation
April 1-June 15, 2020
LibraryIQ will analyze the data collected during Phase 2 in order to understand the need and public demand for library services in Pinehurst. LibraryIQ will also identify and evaluate alternative strategies such as combining services, relocating, or constructing a new facility.
Phase 4: Prepare and Deliver Written Report
June 16-30, 2020
LibraryIQ will prepare and deliver a written library needs assessment report to Village Council
To learn more about Library Community Conversations and the library needs assessment process, visit Engage Pinehurst. Be sure to check back often as they will update the site throughout the process.