The Aberdeen Hampton Inn was evacuated Tuesday night after smoke set off alarms in the building just before 9:30 p.m. The first firefighters on the scene began immediately evacuating occupants of the hotel.
Fortunately, the displaced guests were able to evacuate to the Marriott across the parking lot while emergency crews worked.
Multiple fire stations responded to the hotel, including two fire trucks from Fort Bragg.
Firefighters searched the hotel for the source of the smoke. They reportedly found an HVAC unit on the roof that had malfunctioned sending smoke throughout the ducts in the hotel.
Responding to the scene were fire units from Aberdeen, Pinebluff, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, and Fort Bragg. Also on the scene were Moore County EMS and Aberdeen Police Department.
~Written by Sandhills Sentinel Publisher B.J. Goodridge.