A man died after receiving severe burns when his home caught fire in Carthage Sunday afternoon.

James Russell Overton, 70, died from his injuries at Moore Regional Hospital. Authorities said the cause of the fire appears to be from a wood stove. 

Multiple fire departments were called to the 700 block on Brinkley Road just before 5 p.m.  First arriving units reported heavy flames and smoke in every part of the home.


Firefighters worked to bring the blaze under control, but the home was a total loss. 

A helicopter was called to transport the elderly victim to a burn center but was unavailable, so he was taken to Moore Regional Hospital where he died shortly after arrival. 

 Overton was the only one in the house when the blaze broke out.


Responding to the scene were fire units from Carthage, Eastwood, Eagle Springs, Pinehurst, Seven Lakes, West End and Whispering Pines.

Sheriff Ronnie Fields was on scene as well as Moore County Public Safety and Moore County EMS.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email