An elderly Southern Pines woman escaped her home with minor injuries after a cooking accident set her kitchen on fire. The house fire occurred on Heather Lane in Southern Pines Friday around 6:30 p.m.
The woman was cooking when a fire started and quickly spread throughout the kitchen. As fire crews raced to the residence, she was unable to get off the front porch of her home due to a medical condition. Firefighters quickly got the woman to safety and began to battle the blaze.
Paramedics with Moore County EMS treated the woman for minor injuries sustained during the fire.
Southern Pines Fire Chief Mike Cameron said the firefighters did an amazing job of quickly containing the blaze to the kitchen area of the home. The fire could have been much worse, he said. The kitchen will need repairs before she can return to her home.
Multiple emergency crews responded from Southern Pines Fire & Rescue Stations 81 and 82, Aberdeen Fire & Rescue, Cypress Pointe Fire & Rescue, Moore County EMS, and Moore County Sheriff’s Department.
~Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel Publisher B.J. Goodridge.