School board hears update on Pinecrest stabbing

The Moore County Board of Education discussed the April 28 stabbing at Pinecrest High School during the May 1 agenda meeting.

Officials on Friday said the isolated incident involved two students. The female victim, who is a junior, suffered critical injuries and required surgery after being stabbed several times. The suspect, who is also a student, is charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, but authorities did not release a motive.

The school board did not say the female victim’s or the male suspect’s names during the meeting.

While it is not normal protocol to identify a minor victim, the identity of the student has been made public by social media and fundraising efforts. A fundraising event through GoFundMe for the victim has raised $63,996 of a $75,000 goal.

Superintendent Dr. Tim Locklair and staff said they are keeping the victim in their prayers.

Mike Metcalf, chief officer for academics and student support services said the stabbing happened in the back auditorium parking lot between 8:30 and 8:45 a.m. on Friday. There was a lot of activity in the parking lot at the time.

Metcalf relayed the entire event to the school board. He said the suspect was dropped off in the parking lot, and the victim was in the parking lot getting out of her car.

When she got out of her car, the suspect allegedly stabbed her several times with a large knife. She fought back, and the suspect allegedly tried to get into the girl’s car, but a student backed his car against her car, so the suspect could not get inside. The suspect ran into the woods.

The assistant principal and a counselor saw the disturbance, and the assistant principal radioed for assistance and emergency services while five students reacted to help the girl. One student took off his shirt to provide pressure to the multiple lacerations, and other students called 911.

The assistant principal and a teacher took over the medical care, and the principal replaced the student who was applying pressure.

The school nurse arrived with an automatic external defibrillator kit and trauma kit, and a career education teacher in the medical field arrived, and they packed the deep wounds.

School resource officers and a counselor ran into the woods and apprehended the suspect without resistance.

The weapon was near the victim.

Emergency Medical Services (EMS) arrived and, with the school nurse, applied tourniquets to the girl. The school nurse traveled with EMS to the hospital.

An assistant principal and staff controlled parking lot traffic and cleared the scene, providing easier access for the police.

Another assistant principal applied a modified locked down to the campus.

The district’s critical incident response team arrived to help as counselors.

The communication plan was activated to provide updates to staff and students and provide media statements. The principal extended the first block of the lockdown and notified parents that students were safe and went into a phased release.

In phase 1, parents picked up students. In phase 2, students with cars drove home. In phase 3, normal procedures returned. The principal and others continued with the prom for Saturday night with extra police officers, a bag search, counseling services, and employee assistance through FirstHealth.

“We will learn a tremendous amount from this event,” Metcalf said about analyzing the incident responses.

“We appreciate the wonderful, professional response,” Chair Robert Levy said about the entire staff and students who provided a nearly flawless response.

Community members gathered at Pinecrest High School for a prayer vigil Saturday morning. The group prayed for all those involved and all those impacted. There were prayers of healing and also prayers of forgiveness.

~Written by Sandhills Sentinel Journalist Stephanie M. Sellers. Contact her at [email protected].

Print Friendly, PDF & Email