Dog perishes in house fire

A family is mourning the loss of their dog after their home caught on fire near the Moore and Harnett County line.

Shortly before 3 p.m. Friday, multiple emergency units were dispatched to a structure fire in Cameron on Cypress Church Road about a mile inside Harnett County.

The first unit on scene reported smoke showing from the three-story log home. There were flames in the basement and first floor of the home.

Several departments were dispatched for mutual aid for extra manpower and to assist with supplying water due to the nearest hydrant being at the nearby intersection.

There was extensive damage to the basement and first floor. The top floor suffered damage from heat and smoke.

Emergency personnel were on scene for several hours ejecting smoke and checking for hot spots in the home.

The family escaped the house safely. The dog was found deceased inside after the fire was knocked down, according to fire officials.

Harnett County Fire Marshal was on scene and is investigating the fire.

Responding to the fire were Crains Creek fire Department, Cypress Pointe Fire Department, Southern Pines Fire Department, Spout Springs Fire Department, Spring Lake Fire Department, Fort Bragg Fire Department, Seven Lakes Fire Department, Benhaven Emergency Services and Harnett County Fire Marshal.

~Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel Reporter Daniel Gwyn.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email