Dog dies in West End house fire

Multiple departments across Moore County once again battled the brutal heat on Sunday morning when they responded to a house fire in West End. Emergency units were dispatched just after 9 a.m. to a home on Archie Road near West Pine Middle School in response to an active structure fire.

The first unit arriving on scene reported heavy smoke showing from a single-story residence. A tanker strike team was then dispatched due to drought conditions. 

Firefighters were able to perform a quick knockdown on the fire within minutes.

Sandhills Sentinel was able to speak to one of the homeowners, who stated that a family member arrived to find the home filled with smoke. He immediately went into the house to rescue the family dogs. He let one dog out of a bathroom, and that dog was able to make it out safely. However, another dog in the bedroom where the fire is believed to have started was deceased.

Duke Energy was dispatched to remove power from the home.

The homeowner was very grateful for the quick response and hard work from all who responded to the fire.

~Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel reporter Daniel Gwyn. Daniel has been reporting breaking news for Sandhills Sentinel since 2020.

To sign up for the free Sandhills Sentinel breaking news e-newsletter, please click here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email