Business for the Taylortown Starbucks came to a halt on Friday evening as the direct result of a gas leak. The shop remained closed for an for an extended period of time as all occupants were evacuated, the building was secured, and the gas leak was resolved.
Though first responders were alerted around 8:45 p.m., it is currently unknown when the leak started and how long it had been leaking for, with sources reporting to have been smelling gas all day.
Concern was initially raised after employees began feeling unwell; those within the store reportedly began suffering from headaches and nausea among other symptoms of illness.
First responders were quick to arrive on the scene. Starbucks was promptly closed for the evening, and all occupants were safely evacuated from the building.
EMS arrived to review the condition of those who were in the building at the time of evacuation, though all employees declined treatment and no one was transported to the hospital.
Responding to the scene were the Pinehurst Fire Department, Pinehurst Police Department, Moore County EMS, and Moore County Sheriff’s Department.
~Written by Sandhills Sentinel Reporter Abegail Murphy. Photo by Sandhills Sentinel Photographer Melissa Schaub.