A quick response from fire crews saved a home from a fire in Cameron on Sunday. Multiple departments responded to the fire just before noon.
The caller advised there was smoke coming from the roof. The occupants were still inside but quickly evacuated once units arrived.
Fire command immediately called and requested the sheriff’s office to send deputies to shut down Carthage Street, so a large diameter hose could be laid across the road to a hydrant in front of Phillips Memorial Park.
Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the small fire which started in the kitchen in the stove area and was quickly spreading to the attic but was contained before reaching it. Ventilation fans were set up to eject the smoke from inside the home.
Traffic was diverted down Pineywood Church Road and Atkins Road.
The power company was dispatched to disconnect the power from the home due to damage to some of the wiring.
Red Cross is assisting the family.
Responding units Cypress Pointe Fire and Rescue, Carthage Fire and Rescue, Whispering Pines Fire Department, Moore County EMS, Moore County Fire Marshal, and Moore County Sheriffs Office.
Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel Reporter Daniel Gwyn.