Gas line in Aberdeen yard burst into flames

An Aberdeen homeowner is safe after a gas line on his property burst into flames Monday. The fire happened in the 800 block of East Main Street near downtown around 2 p.m.

According to Aberdeen Fire Chief Richardson, a large tree branch fell in the front yard knocking down power lines and rupturing a gas line running to the house. The power line sparked a grass fire in the yard, which spread to the gas line next to the house.

Firefighters had to attack the fire from the backyard until Duke Energy could get the power to the line turned off. At that time, firefighters were able to keep water on the gas line and the side of the house to keep the flames from spreading farther. Piedmont Natural Gas arrived on the scene just before 4 p.m. and was able to have the gas turned off shortly after that.

Richardson said they were able to contain the fire to the left side wall of the house, but the interior of the house had some smoke and water damage. The occupants of the house were able to make it out safely. The American Red Cross is assisting the residents.

Several emergency units from around Moore County were called in to assist. They included Aberdeen Fire & Rescue, Aberdeen Police, Pinebluff Fire and Rescue, Seven Lakes Fire and Rescue, Southern Pines Fire and Rescue, Pinehurst Fire Department, fire units with Fort Bragg, Moore County EMS, Moore County Public Safety, Duke Energy, and Piedmont Natural Gas.

~Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel Reporter Patrick Priest.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email