Obituary Kenneth Roy Hales Sr.

Kenneth Roy Hales Sr., age 70, of Vass, received the ultimate healing when the Lord called his name on Tuesday, July 7, 2020.  Surrounded by his admiring and loving family, he peacefully passed out of this world and into the loving arms of our Heavenly Father at FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital after a lengthy illness. The soldier’s won the battle; he’s in glory land somewhere.

A floating visitation will be from 2:00 until 8:00 pm with family present from 6:00 until 8:00 pm on Friday, July 10 at Cox Memorial Funeral Home in Vass and other times at the home. 

A Celebration of Life will be held on Saturday, July 11 at 2:00 pm at Pineywood Baptist Church in Cameron with Pastor Brad Marona, Reverend Gregg Newton, and Pastor Jimmy Settle officiating.  Burial will follow at Hales Family Cemetery in White Hill with Military Honors. 

Mr. Hales was born in High Point, Guilford County on March 7, 1950 to Paul Daniel Hales and Margie Mildred Prevatte Hales, whom both preceded him in death.  In addition to his parents, he was also preceded in death by two brothers, Carlton Ramond Hales and James Samuel Hales. He proudly served his country in the U.S. Army and Army Reserves.

He leaves behind a wife of fifty years, Judy Ann McIntyre Hales; daughter, Lisa Ann Hales Leggett (Benjamin) of Sanford; son, Kenneth Roy Hales Jr. of Cookeville, TN; foster son, Tony Oldham of Grantsville, WV; sisters:  Linda Plummer of Greensboro; Ellen Payne (Paul) of McLeansville; Judy Yeatts (Jerry) of McLeansville, and Beth Terrell (Barry) of McLeansville; his grandchildren:  Stephanie Bailey (Roy) of Cameron, Bryan “BJ” Andersen Jr. of Sanford, twins Destiny and Shelby Leggett of Sanford; and great grandsons: Andrew and Caleb Bailey of Cameron.

As far back as I can remember Daddy played anything with strings, mostly the guitar and sang.  Most of my life at bedtime he would sit at the foot of my bed, play his guitar and sing me to sleep.  He was the most giving, caring, and strongest man I have ever known.  He had a firm guiding hand and a loving nurturing way to him that words cannot explain.  Over the years, military injuries and debilitating arthritis slowed his paced and his black hair turned snowy white.  Through many years he made great sacrifices for his family.  He was steadfast and non-wavering in his walk with Jesus.  He was an instructor, a provider, a protector, a defender, a chef, a baker, a steady rock, and my safe place when life turned gray. He was my personal Superman and Incredible Hulk all rolled into the most humble and greatest man I have ever known. He didn’t have the fanciest, the softest, or the newest but he was content and thankful for what God had blessed him with.  You never heard him complain.  When asked how he was doing you only heard him say, “I’m too blessed to be depressed”.  

His days were filled with listening to me babble about anything, everything, and nothing in particular.  He would be playing with grandchildren and recently great-grandchildren, cooking, baking, gardening and working on cars, lawnmowers, or anything that needed fixing. After his military career, he worked 2-3 jobs to provide for us.  I would wake up to him listening to music and singing while he was already busy at work in the kitchen.  He was constantly cooking and baking, usually pies and his award winning pound cakes.  He made the best barbecue, barbecue sauce, and cole slaw in the world.   

He could sing and harmonize, and oh what a powerful voice he had.  Jimmy and Joni, Secret Place, Mother’s Bible, Soldier’s Won the Battle, and Stroll Over Heaven will forever be etched in the memory of those he loved.  The sweetest sound ever heard was when he would sing with me, Grandma Hales, Elaine Hardy, and the gospel group Serenity.

He loved the Lord and lived his life as close to His words as humanly possible.  I know of no other person in the world that lived, walked, and talked closer to Him than Daddy did.  His life was his testimony.  He was an example setter and did not change his values over time.  When his body became frail and brittle, he was still happy and thankful.  Even when he contracted the virus and illness set in, he never lost his faith.  The day he was admitted into the hospital and before I had to leave him, he knew there was a possibility he would not come home to us.  He told me he would be happy to come home to us or happy to go to heaven.  He told me how much he missed his Mama.  He told me he needed me to accept whatever God’s will was going to be and to not be angry.  It was a part of God’s plan.  He was ready to go to his heavenly home and be with his family.He is home now and with them all.  Grandma, Grandpa, James, DJ, baby Wesley, Grandma McIntyre, Pearl, Uncle JT, Granny, Granddaddy, Uncle Curt, Aunt Annie Pearl, Uncle Billy Ray, and Uncle Richard are just a few of the loved ones that were waiting for him.  We can’t hear it, but there is a glorious reunion taking place in heaven right now. 

I will miss him dearly but would not bring him back from his heavenly reward to this earth for anything in the world.  He’s not limping, hunched over, or lying in bed hurting.  He is vibrant and happy, singing in God’s choir and there is no doubt that he is teaching angel’s how to sing and play the guitar.

Condolences may be sent to

The family has entrusted services to Cox Memorial Funeral Home & Crematory in Vass.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email