Elderly couple, dog safe after Carthage house fire

Several fire departments across Moore County were called to the scene of a house fire in Carthage Tuesday evening just before 6 p.m. A dryer caught on fire at a home in the 800 block of Niagara-Carthage Road at the corner of Holly Circle and filled the home with smoke, prompting a fast response from area fire departments.

The Carthage Police Department was first to arrive and reported flames visible from the back door of the single-story structure.

Sandhills Sentinel spoke with the homeowner, who reported that he, his wife, and their small dog were inside when they began to smell smoke. The man went to the laundry area and saw smoke coming from the dryer, and when he opened it, he saw flames.

They immediately called 9-1-1, and multiple fire departments responded within minutes. After an excellent job by all, the fire was put out and contained to the area around the dryer.

One firefighter stated that the smoke was so thick when they first entered the home that he couldn’t even see the female occupant. She was safely located and taken outside. After evaluation, she was transported to Moore Regional Hospital for treatment.

The man and dog were both safe and not injured in the fire.

Responding units were the Carthage Fire Department, Whispering Pines Fire Department, Cypress Pointe Fire Department, Southern Pines Fire Department, Moore County EMS, Moore County Sheriff’s Office, and Carthage Police Department.

~Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel reporter Daniel Gwyn. Daniel has been reporting breaking news for Sandhills Sentinel since 2020.

To sign up for the free Sandhills Sentinel breaking news e-newsletter, please click here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email