An elderly man was treated for mild smoke inhalation after his kitchen caught fire while he was cooking Sunday morning.
The man called 911, and said he needed help getting out of his home on West New York Avenue in Southern Pines.
Firefighters arrived on the scene in minutes and found the man standing just inside the doorway. Due to his age and medical conditions, he had difficulty getting out of his house on his own.
According to Southern Pines Fire Chief Mike Cameron, firefighters were able to quickly assist the man from the residence, and emergency crews began treating the victim for smoke inhalation.
The fire was contained to the kitchen area of the home, and damage was to the stove and surrounding cabinets.
Responding to the scene were fire units from Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen, and Whispering Pines. Moore County EMS and Southern Pines Police also responded.
~Written by Sandhills Sentinel Publisher B.J. Goodridge.