Emergency crews responded to an apartment fire at Hyland Hills Sunday at 2:10 p.m. The apartment is located on Fairway Avenue.
Due to the multiple attached units at this address, it was paged as a two-alarm fire with multiple fire stations responding.
There was also the potential for a life hazard as they were unable to determine if the resident was out of the unit at the time of the 911 call.
The first fire crews on the scene reported heavy smoke coming from the building, and additional units were paged. The resident was out of the unit when the firefighters arrived. The other units on both sides were also evacuated.
The firefighters acted swiftly to contain the blaze from spreading to the other attached units. The unit suffered extensive smoke damage. Reportedly, the fire began on the stove and quickly spread.
There were no injuries reported.
The local Red Cross is assisting the resident with housing and other needs.
Responding to the scene were Southern Pines Fire and Rescue, Cypress Pointe Fire & Rescue, Aberdeen Fire & Rescue, Whispering Pines Fire & Rescue, Fort Bragg Fire Department, and Moore County EMS.
~Article and photos by Sandhills Sentinel Publisher B.J. Goodridge.