Moore County will be opening a shelter at 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 15 ahead of this weekend’s winter storm. The location will be at the Moore County Sports Complex — Recreation Center 155 Hillcrest Park Lane in Carthage. The shelter will remain open until at least 8 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 18.
There will be a COVID screening process for staying at the shelter. For more information, you can call 910-947-6317.
Fire, Rescue, EMS, and Law Enforcement operations will continue throughout the county without interruption.
Please do not call the EOC or 911, to get road conditions or to arrange transport to or from work.
To report utility outages (i.e., water, sewer. power, internet) contact your utility provider directly.
Please contact the NC Department of Transportation or your local municipal Public Works Department concerning road clearing operations.
• Create an “emergency supply kit” full of essentials like blankets, flashlights, batteries, food and first aid items.
• Make a family communication plan that details what you will do in case of an emergency.
• Bring pets indoors and move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas.
• Fill up your car with gas. Since gas stations often rely on electricity to power their pumps, a power outage may leave you without the option to get gas.
• Charge up cellphone, make sure flashlights are working properly, and have spare batteries.
• If possible, avoid driving during winter storms. If you absolutely must drive, be sure to clear your windows and mirrors before getting on the road.
• If you see a utility vehicle — or any other vehicle with flashing yellow lights — on the roadside, remember to move over; it’s the law.
• Use extreme caution when crossing bridges and overpasses as they accumulate ice before other parts of the road.
• Reduce your speed and maintain a safe following distance behind other vehicles because snow and ice may cause skidding.
• If using a space heater or heat lamp, be sure to place it on a solid surface at least three feet away from anything combustible. Always turn off space heaters before leaving the room or going to sleep.
• Never leave a fireplace unattended unless its embers are completely extinguished. Also consider using a glass or metal fire screen to catch sparks and rolling logs, and never store flammable liquids near sources of heat.
• Know how to use your generator. Generators should be placed in an open and ventilated area. They should never be operated inside a home — including spaces like the basement and garage — due to the danger of inhaling carbon monoxide fumes.
• Never touch a downed power line. Warn others to stay away and alert your electric cooperative.
Citizens can keep up with current events happening with Moore County Public Safety by following them on Facebook (www.facebook.com/moorecountyps) or on the website at www.moorecountync.gov, Twitter (@moorecountyps).
Feature photo of Moore County Sports Complex captured by John Patota/Sandhills Sentinel.