Family displaced after dryer starts fire

A late Friday night took a turn for the worse for a family when their home in Glendon was damaged in a fire.

Multiple emergency units were dispatched to the home located at Mike’s Auto Construction and Salvage on Siler City Glendon Road around 11:30 p.m. after a resident reported thick black smoke filling the home.

When units arrived, they found the dryer smoking from a small fire was underneath it. The fire was quickly knocked down, but the home had extensive smoke damage.

Air care was placed on standby due to two children in the home but was later cancelled after they were evaluated.

Due to the location of the home in the middle of a salvage yard, an extended length of hose was used to reach the home from a fire engine staged at the road.

Both adults and children made it out safely and were evaluated by EMS at the scene for smoke inhalation. A cat was also inside when firefighters arrived and made it out safely.

Moore County Public Safety was on scene investigating the fire. Red Cross is assisting the family.

Responding to the scene were Carthage Fire Department, High Falls Fire Department, Bennett Fire Department, Pocket Fire Department, Moore County EMS, Moore County Public Safety and Moore County Sheriff’s Department.

~Article and photo by Sandhills Sentinel Reporter Daniel Gwyn.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email